Social Media

The RETO3D Film Camera

If you're a follower of mine on Instagram, you've probably seen me talk about this camera for a while. This is the RETO3D film camera. My brother and I got this through their Kickstarter launch before. This camera uses 35mm film and produces three photos per exposure. You can edit the photos and save them as a GIF or video so you can share them online.

This camera is similar to the Nishika and Nimslo which are both known for the quadruple-lens design. Both cameras are quite pricey and absolutely in-demand right now in the film photography community which is why I wanted to give this new camera a try.


The RETO3D camera is designed with a buit-in flash, which needs two AA batteries to function. This is very lightweight, which can both be a pro and a con at the same time. It feels flimsy and fragile, which my brother knows for a fact since his camera's flash is already worn out. It takes extra care to handle this baby.




When we ordered this via Kickstarter, we received the camera together with a tote bag and two rolls of Kodak Ultramax 400 (36 exposures). I personally use a lot of tote bags when I go out which is why I really love their design. It's in black, very simple but sleek. The film rolls are perfect too! Out of all the films I've tried, the Ultramax 400 is a staple for me.


As you open the box, other than the camera, you'll also get an instruction manual, three stickers, and the camera strap. The instruction manual also includes tips on when to use the flash depending on the distance of the subject and the ISO of the camera.


What's special about this camera is that the developers also made a mobile application where users can edit the scans of their negatives into a GIF or a video. This makes it much easier when editing and uploading on social media!


There is no doubt that the RETO3D team mixed analog photography and the 21st century in a really great way. This makes me so much more excited to experiment with film.

By the way, I've already used two rolls but I only had one developed. I will share the results in the next blog post, so stay tuned!

Post a Comment

Instagram

Theme by BD